Homeless Planning and Policy Council
In July of 2015, staff from the homeless program at Yakima County transferred to Yakima Valley Conference of Governments jurisdiction.
The Yakima Valley Conference of Governments Homeless Planning and Policy Council (HPPC) was established to ensure inclusive countywide planning and the equitable strategic allocation of federal, state and local funds for the provision of homeless services and housing resources to the unique needs the homeless addresses.
The Homeless Planning and Policy Council (HPPC) was established as an advisory panel to the YVCOG Executive Committee. The Executive Committee receives recommendations from The Homeless Planning and Policy Council. The Executive Committee may adopt the recommendation, modify it, or may remand it to The Homeless Planning and Policy Council for further vetting.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Homeless Planning and Policy Council
- Develop, implement and annually update as needed a comprehensive countywide 5 year homeless plan.
- Make recommendations to the Yakima Valley Conference of Governments Executive Committee as to the expenditure of public funds to support strategies identified under the 5 year plan and to address emergent needs.
- Regularly review and evaluate homeless and housing data to determine the effectiveness of the local strategies and objectives identified in the 5 year plan.
- Establish performance outcomes and targets to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of funded programs.
- Establish and publish a transparent funding distribution process to solicit, screen, review, score and rank potential projects.
- Assist YVCOG in its role as the “Collaborative Applicant” for the HUD Continuum of Care (CoC) program by annually reviewing, scoring and prioritizing new and renewal projects. The purposes of the Continuum of Care program are to:
- Serve as the annual homeless assistance application to HUD for funding to support housing and services targeted for homeless sub-populations;
- Serve as a strategic plan for addressing homelessness in our region.
- The Homeless Planning and Policy Committee will abide by and annually review their operating procedures and guidelines and recommend updates to the Executive Committee as needed.
The Homeless Planning & Policy Council meeting is held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 10:0 a.m. at alternating locations throughout the region.